This year I decided to take matters into my own hands. So on a Saturday afternoon, with Pandora Halloween music playing, my friend and I set to work. We got 6 hardbound books free from a local exchange.
Then we gathered other supplies:
- hot glue gun with lots of glue
- aluminum foil
- printer paper or any other paper
- small piece of fabric (2" x 3")
- acrylic paint (black, white, orange, and brown)
- duct tape
- modge podge
- Sponge brushes/ make-up sponges
- simple Halloween shapes (ex. spiders, skull and cross bones, etc)
Instructions for the Eye Book:
- Form a one inch ball of foil
- Spot glue onto book front about 1/3 the way down and towards the right side of the book cover
- Lay fabric piece over foil and duct tape down
- Use hot glue gun to create wrinkles and eyelid lines around eye and seams on book. Let glue cool until hard.
- Once finished with hot glue, paint over book cover with modge podge.
- Apply torn paper pieces to wet modge podge then paint over paper layer with modge podge
- Mix brown paint 1 to 4 with modge podge on a paper plate. Paint mixture over entire book cover. Allow to dry
- Using sponge brush and orange paint tap brush lightly in orange paint, then tap lightly to center areas between scars and seams. Allow to dry.
- Using sponge brush or make-up sponge shade seams by dabbing on black or dark brown paint until desired effect is reached
- With a small brush, paint eye
- Shade the edges of the book with black and brown paint dabbed on
For other books, use a glue gun to add any raised designs to book cover. Then paint on a layer of modge podge. Smooth foil over entire book cover while modge podge is still wet. Allow to dry. Follow painting procedure as with Eye Book.
We made 6 books for about $3 each.
My BBBBOOOOOOOKKKKKK finally came home!